At last you have finished your beautiful crochet or knitting project. Have you ever consider to make a tassels on the border? So what is it to be and how to make the cute tassel? If you decide to making one, you can see my finished crochet project below here. It is called BLUE DIAMOND TABLE CLOTH. I have made that with tassels which I have planned long ago before I started design this kind of pattern. If you would like to make this table cloth, you may see my post here, FREE written instructions.
It’s like a bit hard to make but it’s actually very easy and fast. However if you are just trying to make a tassel for the first time, and you are not sure what to do, so here is a step by step tutorial. Let’s get started.
- Yarn (better used the same type of the project made).
- Darning Needle
- Crochet Hook
- Find a card or a book with roughly the height about 4 to 5 inches (The longer the inch, the longer your tassel will be. So it depends on your own choice)
- First decide how many inch do you want your tassel to be, then how many pieces tassel you need to add on your crochet border. As for Blue Diamond Table Cloth, I had made 4 pieces of tassel around the corner.
(Repeat the above steps for the number of tassels you plan to make.
- Prepare two strands of yarn measuring 13 to 14 inches a piece. Each tassel requires two strand of yarns to make the tie later.
- Thick card or a book that measuring about 4 to 5 inches.
- Then wrap the yarn on the card for 30 to 35 times. If you want thicker, wrap more than 35 times. But make sure it fits the length and shape of your crochet project.
- Take the 14 inches of yarn that was prepared in step no.2 earlier on, place it under and around the top of of the wrapped yarn. Cut the yarn string at the bottom carefully.
- Tie in a double knot to tighten.
- Take the other strand of 14 inches yarn and place it about an inch down from the top of the tassel. Tie a 14 inches of yarn around the loose yarn strings. Tie tightly with a double knot. This is to form the ‘head’ of the tassel.
- Trim the ends of your tassel for an even look.
(Repeat the above steps for the number of tassels you plan to make).
HOW TO ATTACH TASSEL TO CROCHET/KNITTING PROJECT?
- Attach each tassel to your project starting with one of the corners. Using any of your crochet hook, insert the strand of yarn through the corner of the crochet project.
- Tie the yarn to attach the tassel to the corner of your crochet project. Blend the tied ends in with the rest of the tassel pieces.
Repeat the above steps for the other corner of your crochet project.
Now that you know how to make tassels for a crochet or knitting project. I hope that you will make many project with tassels in the future. You could even add tassels with contrasting yarn colors. Can you imagine how lovely it is!
Good luck in your crocheting world.
XOXO ~ Wisz Limbi
It’s no big thing, but you make big things out of little things sometimes.~Robert Duvall
"My writing here is meant to teach, to inspire as well as give you some ideas on making any handmade pieces. This pattern is the property of Calls For Stitch and may not be copied, resold or shared. You may sell any finished item you make from this site by crediting to Calls For Stitch. Copyright protection in Malaysia is based on the Copyright Act 1987 and Category of Work".